I wrapped up my annual Simple Home Challenge and I wanted to share a quick recap of my top takeaways from this fun and transformative decluttering challenge.
1. Decluttering takes time. Simplifying your home takes time, but it also makes time. This is a process and not a race. Small changes overtime will create a compound effect which is so powerful. One drawer, one room, one day can add up to massive results. Focus on small tasks and you will be amazed at how far you will go.
2. A simple home is healing. Your environment affects you whether you are aware of it or not. Clutter and disorganization can make us feel stressed, anxious, and depressed. These are facts. So, when I say simplifying your home can change your life, it really can!
3. It is all about your mindset. Creating a simple home is largely about your mindset and shifting your lifestyle. It is about learning that enough is not an amount, it is a decision. It is learning to end the cycle of desiring more, and about being fulfilled by less. I have learned so much about myself through this process that had nothing to do with the “stuff”. How I spend my time, what consumes my mind, and what I really want out of life.
4. A simple home is clarifying. Decluttering your home can be clarifying and will change your perspective. I realized that the constant need for new things was something that I did out of boredom and realized that it was a major distraction. When I stopped searching for more, I had more time for more meaningful experiences and connections. It brings you clarity on what you truly want and love. Crafting a simple home is less about what you are getting rid of, and more about what you love and want to keep. Through the process you become a lot more intentional and aware of what that is, rediscovering the things that bring you joy.
5. Your clutter is stealing your time. This simple challenge was such a great opportunity to refine and reset my priorities and get more intentional about how I spend my time. Each item I own takes up my time. From the shirt that needs folding to the toys that need containing. Are those items worth your time? Your time is so valuable, stop wasting it on caring for your stuff.
Did you miss the challenge? Great news you can grab The Simple Home Challenge workbook HERE. It has everything that we covered in the challenge, plus some added bonuses!