This is a family favorite for the holidays, such an easy sausage and herb stuffing. It is a simple recipe that anyone can prepare.
- 8 cups store-bought unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 stick ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1½ cups diced yellow onion from 1 large or 2 small onions
- 1 cup diced celery from 3 large celery stalks
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 pound Sweet Italian sausage
- 2¾ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Place the stuffing cubes in a large mixing bowl.
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter. Add the onions and celery and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Mix the vegetables into the stuffing cubes.
- In the same pan, cook the sausage over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a metal spatula while cooking. Add the browned sausage and fat to the bread cubes and vegetables and mix.
- Add the chicken broth, egg, rosemary, sage, parsley, salt and pepper to the bread cube mixture and mix until the bread is soft and moistened. Transfer the stuffing to the prepared baking dish and bake for 65-75 minutes, uncovered, until deeply golden and crisp on top.
Make-Ahead Instructions: The stuffing can be assembled up to a day ahead and refrigerated until ready to bake; then when ready remove from the refrigerator and follow the baking instructions in the recipe.